Friday, May 29, 2015

Summer restart

The number on the scale after my morning shower was 254.

I skipped breakfast, in anticipation of my dentist appointment later that morning.

Lunch, between appointments, was an indulgence: foot-long Subway sandwich on Italian bread -- buffalo-style chicken stripes, lettuce and tomato and black olive, with light mayo and salt and pepper. Plus a bag of LAY'S® Kettle Cooked Lattice Cut Aged Cheddar & Black Pepper Flavored Potato Chips. PLUS (what, another plus?) three chocolate chip cookies; all downed with a bottle of diet Mountain Dew. Why so indulgent? It was just such a pleasure to eat without pain, and I wanted to enjoy the sensation before the morning's anesthetic wore off.

Dinner at home was my duty for the evening, after a good long recovery nap. I made a salad of iceberg lettuce, brie, and diced apple, in a light honey-mustard dressing. I made a kind of vegetable bake by layering thin slices of tomato, summer squash, and zucchini, with a paste made of sauteed chopped mushrooms and onions and ricotta, spiced with a blend of Indian flavors: curry, garam masala, really earthy stuff. Topped off with a sprinkle of bread crumbs and feta crumbles, it was really rather hearty and tasty. Also baked up some flaky biscuits, and a package of quick-cooking spiral noodles in a cheese and broccoli sauce. I dined with a bottle of diet Coke. Afterward: a slice of sugar-free chocolate cake, with NOT sugar-free chocolate frosting. (Note the replacement of the oil in the recipe with applesauce, and the substitution of one of the three eggs called for with a tablespoon of mayo, since, alack, we had only the two eggs.)

I brushed very carefully dessert.

No comments: