Saturday, August 7, 2010

A day at home

Two pieces of wheat toast with oleo. A shared three-egg scramble, with Parmesan, diced tomatoes and a rosemary-besprinkled chicken breast. Two wedges of Laughing Cow product, spread on Wheat Thins, some of which were fused in monstrous parodies of the usual baked cracker form. Water with this.

A can of diet cola on the train after grocery shopping; a shared bag of Hot 'n' Spicy [sic] Chex Mix, on sale for ninety-nine cents. Then at home, a brace of defrosted beef ribs; a chop salad with iceberg lettuce, green bell pepper, shredded cheddar cheese, sunflower seeds, and light honey-mustard dressing. And a crab cake, perhaps the tastiest crab cake I have ever had, consisting of store-brand Ritz-type wheat crackers, mayonnaise, green bell pepper and fresh sweet corn, picked white crab meat, an egg, chopped green onion, and spices including tumeric, dry mustard, chili powder, and black pepper. All this was rolled in bread crumbs and fried quickly, and I have to say perfectly, in vegetable oil. I processed the remaining sweet corn and bell pepper with a little horseradish mustard and mayo and a splash of Tabasco, for an excellent remoulade. I often express my enthusiasm for cooking, but rarely brag about something I've made. These crab cakes, I have to say, where to-notch.

The girls had a zinfandel mixed with pear nectar, but I drank several cans of diet cola. I also had one-third of a pint of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food frozen yogurt. Really shameless of me.

No comments: