Friday, August 13, 2010

My reheated life

Two slices of wheat bread, toasted, with oleo and grape jelly. Can you believe it? I can't hardly.

An entire half-serving of coffee with Splenda and fat-free half-and-half. Usually I just get the leftovers.

For lunch, a tureenful (volume impossible to estimate) of leftover "drunken lobster" noodle dish, from J.'s lunch the day before at Tavern on the Water: artichokes, tomato concasse, Parmesan, lobster meat, and cavatappi. A bottle of diet Mtn Dew. A few bite of J.'s leftover vegetable jambalaya from the previous evening's dinner. A third of a bag, and not more, truly, of Cape Cod Five Cheese potato chips. These were oversalty and underdelicious.

A bottle of water during the afternoon.

Dinner at Panera: low-calorie chicken noodle soup, a hunk of baguette, half of their Sierra Turkey sandwich. Tabasco in the soup, and lemon in the diet cola. I admit that the clerk convinced me to take her up on their $0.99 deal for a bakery item. I am helpless before the chocolatine. I refilled the soda cup twice. Why did I need so much? Because I felt a strange compulsion, and obeyed it, to share a slice of coffee cake and a blondie with J. I had half of each. We are complicit in the crime.

No comments: