Tuesday, January 7, 2014

On the matrimonial resolution

Here we go again. I'm getting back into the swing of edia blogging, since the wedding is about a month away and I'm keen to look as trim and healthy as possible on the day of blessed occasion. So: healthy lunches consisting of leftovers, light on carbs. A handful of nuts in the morning on the train will keep my eyes open and start the day with a tang of salt. After the gym, breakfasts of low-cal full-nutrition shakes, pre-packaged (oh what an indulgent expense!) but hard to find excuses not to use (ESPECIALLY after I've already paid the money for them). Dinner: one plate and one plate only at the family meal. No snacking, Mr. Bos. No cheating, savvy?

And, in what looks like a capitulation to dangerous urges, milk of magnesia once a week. Not because I think it is some kind of smart strategy for rapid weight loss, but for health reasons. Explanation: My immune suppression makes me much more susceptible than most to respiratory infection; indeed, I'm constantly trying to shake bronchitis. Since my upper lungs are always inflamed, I am always coughing up foamy sputum. The magnesium salts, er, reduce the fluid in my body, leaving less available to cough up. In other words, low-level hydration makes it easier to breath. It's a hassle to balance these concerns. And further, while I'm fighting off the urge to "be responsible" and make use of the food in my environment, and not let it go to waste. I'm not HUNGRY. Indeed, most days I want very much NOT to be eating, not because of any high-minded goal to Get Fit (though that's there), but because eating makes me feel gross.

(And what's that all about, Zak?)

No comments: