Saturday, June 13, 2009

In which I sic 'em

Thank you, Nora, for that tasty egg and cheeze [sic] on croissant from Dunkin Donuts [sic] for breakie. Lunch was defrosted sausage & peppers & onions on a hoagie roll with a very small amount of mayonnaise. While grocery shopping, I had a sample serving of Chinese [sic] spinach & shrimp salad. Dinner started with flour tortilla quesadillas with cheddar and and onion and baby portabellas fried in marg. Salad was iceberg and romaine, with bell pepper and nectarine and diced fontina in a dressing of chopped fresh mint in olive oil and white vinegar and salt, pepper, honey, and powdered ginger. For dinner I marinated tilapia fillets in olive oil and white wine, flavored with a sprinkling of herbs -- woodruff, wood sorrel, and mint -- picked from the tunnel cap garden. I poached the fish in white wine, butter, and water. We served this next to white rice from the cooker, and spinach sauteed with corn oil, garlic, ginger, sultanas, chopped fresh cherries, red cabbage, and leeks. I squeezed plenty of lemon and lime juice into each dish. Over the fish we spooned a ragout of roasted tomatillas and tomatoes, cooked with fragrant yarrow and mashed and warmed with a little of the reserved poaching liquid. Bread with marj, one slice. Drank one glass of Nora's white sangria, of three-buck chuck blanco and Tropicana orange/tangerine jus and Peachtree and sliced fruit. Also drank diet Coke with a slice of lime throughout the night. For dessert I gave everyone a pool of pureed fresh strawberries with mint and honey, and the option of peach or mango or chocolate or raspberry or strawberry sorbet and Pepperridge Farm cookies. I garnished several bowls with mint leaves. I did not partake of this dish; instead I ate a few cookies and congo bars guests had brought. Before shopping, I had a handful of Honey Nut Cheerios in the case.

No comments: