Saturday, June 20, 2009

Uno's, Parts 1 & 2

Late lunch at Uno's, solo: boneless chicken wings in some kind of treacly sauce, with carrot and celery sticks, all of which had committed some kind of grave food sin because I in role of punisher was instructed to dip these poor victims head-first into a vat of ranch dressing. Their screams. Also diet Cokes; also a chicken Caesar salad. Back at the desk, an Odwalla bar I had not wanted when I was given to me, and did not enjoy when I ate it. The flavor made no impression on me. Then back to Uno's for workshop, where in order to bump up our table's tab, I ordered a Chi-Town Tasting Platter, which was really rather sad -- wilted, uniformly unappetizingly brown and depleted. I had two chicken wings on the bone, small sad scraps of tough meat with a sticky undefinable sauce. I also had some fries and some shoestring onion rings in a jalapeno mayo sauce. I drank diet Coke and two Magners. My entree was mac-and-cheese from the kids' menu, with a breadstick; the waiter brought a steak knife for the mac-and-cheese so I would feel tougher. True story. I also polished off a brownie bowl, which I had foolishly ordered believing that others would help me eat the gooey brownie with vanilla ice cream, fudge sauce, and Oreos. The cherry was succulent.

No comments: