Sunday, March 17, 2013

Too much the world is in us


J's dear friend Kristin came in from Boston by train. We met her at the station, and whisked her off to Harley House in Lunenburg for brunch. I spoke about the purpose of the thread tied around my wrist, and then completely ignored it as I ate and ate. I had three mini-bagel halves, with boursin, salami, raw onion, capers, and ham (canapes, I mean -- I didn't pile up the cold cuts), and a half-cup of grapes, and a slice of pecan pie and a bowl of bread pudding (each of which had a half-cup or less of ambrosia salad on top; I'd thought it was whipped cream!), and a poached egg over corned beef hash, three mugs of decaf coffee with calorie-free sweetener and milk, half a cinnamon roll, a quarter of a chocolate cupcake with penuche or peanut butter frosting (I don't know which -- mostly, it was tastelessly rich, like Mitt Romney), two corn fritters with maple syrup, and oh, I don't know, other things. Gross.

We spent the middle part of the day preparing ourselves for engagement photos at Cogshall Park. This process started with the girls stewing in the hot tub for a while to take the edge of brunch off (I guess?); I brought them a tray of beverages, and a bowl of dried cranberries and candied ginger. Which they declined, but which I sampled. So that's lunch. I also had water.

After the photo session at the Park (yes, it was cold), we went to Marge's house for boiled dinner in celebration of the holiday. I had, oh, four small slices of corned beef (and a rind of fat, some tablespoons' worth, off the meat in the roasting pan, when no one was looking), and four small slices or so of Zak's Own soda bread with cranberries and raisins, smeared with Zak's Own honey butter, and a serving or two of potatoes, cabbage, parsnips, and carrots. I drank water with the meal because, you know, I'm trying to stay healthy. Dinner was green-colored cake with green-colored frosting -- the cake had walnuts in it. I had my slice, and a second slice which had been brought to the dining room on the erroneous assumption that Joe was going to break his Lenten ban on desserts.

That evening, I had some diet Dew and some more ginger, at homem unwinding with the girls again (my gal, and her pal) in and around the hot tub.

My weight at turn-in was 262.2.

No comments: