Sunday, June 12, 2011

Cereal war; Chinese revolutions; afternoon snacking

When I wandered into the kitchen, J. was there finishing a bowl of Cinnamon Life cereal. I poured in about a serving of Frost Mini-Wheats, thinking to stretch her milk -- but when I turned back around after returning the box to the cabinet, she'd already eaten most of the new cereal! It's like a war zone sometimes. So, breakfast before brunch: a few bites of cereal. The remnants. The survivors.

On the way to brunch -- with the Greater Boston Humanists, in Cambridge -- I had a diet Mountain Dew. Once there, we shared in a meal service Chinese-American-lazy-Susan-style: dumplings, scallion pancake, battered fish in a tangy sauce with peppers and onions, beef with broccoli (!), shrimps with noodles, another noodle dish, canned chunk pineapple served in a heap with toothpicks, fortune cookies.

After, a half-pint of "Le saisonniere" at Cambridge Brewing Company. On the ride home, some comfort food -- a NutRageous bar split with J.; a few swigs each of her diet cola and her fusion hot drink, a blend of 7-11's bananas foster-flavored cappuccino and hot cocoa; a very few of her sachet of honey-roasted peanuts; four of her vanilla-wafer cookies.

At home, between rounds of cat care and laundry sorting, I made a dinner of sauteed chicken flavored with turmeric, with peas and some whole wheat, shell-shaped pasta, in a sauce of mayonnaise, Parmesan, and herbs. Cat care left me without an appetite, so J. had dinner and I kept sorting laundry.

On the drive back to Lunenburg, we stopped for gas and I got the now-too-sleepy-to-live J. a bottle of zero-calorie cola, which we shared.

In bed, processing books for online sale, I knocked back a can of the ol' diet Mountain Dew. I have to kick this stuff.

No comments: