Friday, June 10, 2011

Continental breakfast, chicken lunch, a nonsensible dinner

I woke J. up to go to Dunkin Donuts with me -- her favorite way to start the day, in these days before the days when we'll have a griddle in the kitchen and the luxury of time to use it -- but I realized there was no time so breakfast had to be skipped again.

When I got to work, parents on campus with their incoming freshmen were milling about with paper plates in the lobby outside my office. I put my things down and helped myself to a little of their continental breakfast -- a cinnamon raisin bagel with light cream cheese and marmalade; a small piece of poundcake; two apples. I ate the pastry, but the apples sat on my desk all day -- Monday snacks? I drank water with this.

But then, oh happy day, J. shows up after her job interview, and in high spirits. Off to Raising Cane's chicken restaurant! [J. says: "It's not a restaurant."] I had three chicken fingers with their tangy sauce, fries, cole slaw, and a piece of greasy Texas toast. Great stuff, right? J. had brought food from the convenience store next door for herself, and shared her pretzel-filled M&Ms. I drank diet cola with this feast.

At Panera, during poetry discussion with the one other person who showed up for workshop, I had a half a turkey sandwich, with a bowl of their new (conveniently low-cal) soup, chicken orzo with lemon. Also diet cola with lemon.

At North Station, J. met me with a diet Mountain Dew, and shared a slice of pizza from the concourse with me (buffalo chicken with banana peppers?) on the train.

Before bed, we were goaded into sampling princess-crown-shaped sugar cookies. I had just the one.

No comments: